Chemmy's Watermelon Superfood Smoothie
Our ambassador Olympic athlete Chemmy Alcott has told us that as part of her daily morning routine, she enjoys a smoothie packed full of fruits and superfoods. To start her morning well, she’s made sure to adds in a few drops of our very own Broad Spectrum CBD, for that extra wellness boost.
We’ve asked Chemmy to share with us her top-secret Superfood Smoothie recipe to help brighten up your own morning routine. Before we delve in, let’s take a look at the benefits of some of her favourite superfoods:
The Benefits of "Superfoods"
Did you know that the term term ‘Superfoods’ isn’t actually a scientific word? It was originally invented by marketers, but has helped people to identify nutritionally dense foods!
Just like CBD, Superfoods pack an enormous wellness punch. The combination of CBD and Superfoods is one of the best things you can have in the morning! Some of Chemmy’s other favourite smoothie ingredients include:
- Spirulina- containing the powerful plant protein phycocyanin. Studies show it may have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory brain-protective and pain-relieving properties! There are also some positive studies on the cholesterol-lowering effects, however, larger studies are required. Nonetheless, Spirulina is still rich in many essential vitamins and minerals. These maintain a healthy immune system, like vitamins E, C, and B6.
- Chia seeds– one of the most widely celebrated benefits of chia seeds is the large amount of omega-3 fatty acids they contain. They’re actually the best source of them out of any plant! Animal and human studies show that these fatty acids are incredibly beneficial for your cardiovascular system. They also contain zinc and calcium!
- Flax seeds– also known as linseeds, these small seeds pack a punch that you wouldn’t believe. They contain a large number of a type of compounds called “lignans“. There have been experimental studies showing that these may help lower the risk of cancer! People with digestion issues can also benefit from eating them regularly as they’re very high in fiber and omega-3 fatty acids They can also help with levels of bad cholesterol!
Chemmy's Superfood Smoothie Recipe
Makes one serving. Feel free to add in any of your own favourite smoothie ingredients and make it your own!
- 3 slices cut from a quartered watermelon
- A handful of spinach
- A handful of blueberries
- 4 tablespoons of yogurt
- 2 tsp flax seeds
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp spirulina
- 5 drops of Broad Spectrum CBD
- Topped up with any juice or milk you have in the fridge!
Simply chop up all your ingredients, combine in a blender and flick the switch!